Monday, November 29, 2010

When You Wish Upon a... Wishbone

Mary Claire and George had never before seen a wishbone. (Maybe a result of their mother's cooking deficit? Perhaps.) But because I'd used my trusty Crock Pot to cook a big old turkey breast so we could partake in the traditional leftovers, we were gifted with a wishbone that sat drying on the island for the past few days.

Last night, Chris explained to them what a wishbone was all about. He used words like "clavicle" and Mary Claire used words like "Eww, gross."

We then proceeded to tell them that if they each made a wish and pulled one end of the wishbone, it would break unevenly -- and that the person who ended up with the bigger half would be granted his or her wish.

They both thought long and hard about their wishes while Chris peppered them with questions such as, "Did you wish for your Daddy to get a new car? Did you wish for Daddy to get a new iPhone?" And they commenced with eye-rolling and brow-furrowing as they continued to ponder this big decision.

Then came time for the pull.

I have never in my life seen a wishbone split like this. NEVER. In fact, I said that exact line... loudly... multiple times. "I have NEVER seen a wishbone split that that. EVER!" And they finally all shushed me while Chris lamented the fact that HE always gets pegged as the loud one.

But truly, isn't that a sight to behold?

I think it means that both their wishes get to come true.

In fact, I think all our wishes get to come true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely sharp post. Never thought that it was this easy. Extolment to you!.