Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Running and Writing

On Sunday, I ran 16 miles. For some of you that doesn't sound like much (yes, we have certain friends -- PAT -- who run in excess of 100 miles at a time, so 16 sounds a bit... wimpy), but for me it was MONUMENTAL. I've never run that far at one time. EVER. My dear, sweet husband met me every 4 miles with water. I even tried the gels that Ashley suggested.

"What do they taste like?" Chris asked innocently.

"Hot, raspberry-flavored _____," I replied. (You'll have to use your imagination.)

The first 4 miles were nothing. The next 4, not bad at all. I started to feel a bit sluggish around mile 11 or so. And by the time I got home, I was a Hot Mess.

While I was standing in the shower, I was fairly certain I was going to:

A. Vomit
B. Die
C. Vomit and Die simultaneously

I stepped out of the shower, immediately flattened myself out on the floor, and called for Chris.

"Honey, I don't feel right," I said as I -- quite literally -- saw stars. I've never really seen "stars." Even in the high-intensity, over-dieting, prone-to-fainting phase of my life, I never really saw them. As I shivered on the floor, I felt the out-of-control sensation of my body failing me.

"Well, your lips are gray, Kat," Chris replied with measured calm. "Don't move." He bounded down the stairs and returned in a heartbeat with a banana, a large scoop of peanut butter, and a vat of water.

"Get this in your body. NOW."

And although I was still fairly certain I was going to:

A. Vomit
B. Die
C. Vomit and Die simultaneously

I did as he instructed. Because, quite honestly, I've never felt quite so betrayed by my body. It was entirely surreal. All completely fixable, but a bit scary nonetheless. Lesson learned: proper hydration and nutrition is non-negotiable. Period.

This morning, I received a package from Bennington College. When Chris handed it over to me, I felt a very familiar sensation. Yup. You guessed it. I was pretty sure I was going to:

A. Vomit
B. Die
C. Vomit and Die simultaneously

"It's too soon!" I yelled at Chris as I shoved the package back toward him. "If I've been rejected already, they had to really HATE everything I sent them!"

I pictured the Admissions Committee gathered around a large conference table smoking cigars, laughing jovially, and pointing out all my literary shortcomings.

As I opened the envelope, my hands were shaking uncontrollably. My heart was beating faster than it did during my 16-miler, and I broke out into a cold sweat. No exaggeration. Who knew the world of academia and the world of chafing and stinky socks could merge so beautifully?

Of course, the envelope contained nothing more than a standard "We've received your application and expect to notify candidates within the next two months" set of materials. OF COURSE, they didn't turn my application around within 6 days spanning a holiday weekend.

And so the waiting begins...

To help pass the time, I think I'll go grab a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter.

1 comment:

Chris Willis said...

Well of course it wasn't a rejection. You had the totally wrong image in your head. The admissions people for an MFA program are not suit wearing, cigar smoking, sitting around in wood paneled board room types. They are cigarette smoking, beret wearing, philosophizing about the meaning of it all types.