Thursday, September 23, 2010

Invincible

Have I mentioned how far 20 miles is?

Perhaps it doesn't seem so long in a car or on an airplane or even on a bike. Maybe it's not very daunting to an ultra-marathoner or an Iron Man.

But for 40-year-old me? It's a good distance. A good, long distance.

I've been thinking a great deal about my 20-mile run on Saturday. Fueled by the encouragement of my friends, neighbors, and family, I did something on Saturday that I've never, ever done before in my life.

I ran 20 miles.

You know what that makes me think? It makes me think I can do anything.

ANYTHING.

Here are some of the things I think I might be able to do now...

1. Take on a brand new, kick-ass job and create some corporate magic
2. Attend grad school with an A+++ average... or simply enjoy the journey (right, Chris?)
3. Publish a New York Times bestseller... then another... and then another...
4. Raise 4 well-adjusted children who eat leafy, green vegetables
5. Cultivate my most treasured friendships with love, laughter, and red wine
6. Lose that last 20 pounds (one pound for each mile)
7. Become the first female President
8. Jump out of a perfectly good airplane
9. Dive down to the bottom of the sea (sans gills)
10. Rule the world

Now, I may not actually want to do all of those things, but the ones that I desire? I've got those covered.

Watch out, World. Ready or not, here I come!

(And thanks, Oprah, for the very timely reminder.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the "half-empty" guy, but you have no chance with the leafy vege thing. Everything else should be a breeze.

Dawn Pier said...

Congratulations!! Woohoo!! 20 miles! That kicks butt. You kick butt. That 20 lbs is history, no question about it.

Now about this "owning your power" - what the heck does that mean, exactly? Care to expound in a blog? Please.