Thursday, August 26, 2010

First

Sam is "dating." Apparently, that's what it's called in eighth grade. When I was in eighth grade, we "went together" -- although I'm not really sure where we ever went. He'd be mortified if he knew I was blogging about this. That's why I've advised all of my children not to read my blog until they're at least 21.

SAM, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, STOP NOW! YOUR 21ST BIRTHDAY IS ONLY SEVEN YEARS AWAY. BE STRONG.

His new girlfriend is a sweet, pretty, quiet girl. I hope she doesn't get eaten alive in this loud, obnoxious, irreverent family. Her primary interests are reading and writing. Yup, I love her already. And I absolutely adore her parents. Mama is very, very happy with this Big First.

I'm treading lightly around this even though I'm bursting at the seams for DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS! I did find out that he actually talked to her when he asked her to "go out with him." Thank God Almighty this is not a text-based relationship.

When he told me about his new love interest, his face turned at least ten shades of purple. But he offered the information up freely.

I like the way this has gone so far.

His new girlfriend's mom texted me after tucking her daughter in to say, "she had a sweet smile on her face" when she talked about Sam. Sweet smiles and purple faces. Love, love, love it!

I talked to him today about being respectful, about treating her like a queen, about not caving to the whims of his eighth grade friends. "I'm not dumb, Mom," he said. "I know, Sam, but you ARE thirteen."

The best part of this whole deal so far? Mary Claire's reaction. She came busting through the garage door on her way home from school today yelling, "OMG!! I can't believe you have a GIRLFRIEND! I thought you were going to be lonely FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!"

She then followed that outburst with an adamant, "I would NEVER date you!"

Good idea, Mary Claire.

No comments: