Monday, April 12, 2010

Journeying

"Just a small town girl livin' in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere..."

Okay, I'm not really talking about that kind of Journey. But when I think of the word Journey, I can't help but think of Steve Perry and his penchant for jeans that left nothing to the imagination. (You can take the girl out of the 80s, but you can't take the 80s out of the girl.)

The journey I'm describing, however, is a different one altogether. And the vocabulary required to tell the story still eludes me.

I'm digesting. And processing. And learning.

I just completed a leadership and enrichment course that has changed my perspective in ways I could have never imagined.

I just created powerful, intimate relationships with people who -- two short months ago -- were complete and total strangers, people who will forever cause my heart to skip a beat and encourage my arms to hold on a little more tightly.

I just learned how to be courageous and authentic and loving.

The world looks beautifully different today. The sun is brighter, the colors more vibrant. My husband is more cherished than ever before, my kids more wholly loved and appreciated. (Yup, even George.) My heart is full of gratitude.

Today, I can fly.

Words -- the devices upon which I've always depended -- fail me. Today, they are inadequate representations of what is real, what is important.

Hell, I've been singing along with Jennifer Lopez and The Judds all day long. THE JUDDS! If that doesn't indicate a change, I'm not sure what does.

What I'm experiencing is truly a journey. My path will veer and meander and -- quite possibly -- end up in a place I never knew existed. (Once geographically-challenged, always geographically-challenged.)

I'm not there yet.

But I'm never looking back.

1 comment:

Dawn Pier said...

wow!! Congrats...sounds pretty mind altering. Tell us more about the who and what!! :-)