Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Bioluminescent Binge

We’re home.


Finally.

After four hours of bay fishing followed by fifteen overnight hours in the car, we made it. We stink, we’re dirty, we’re tired, we traveled with a cooler full of dead trout, but we’re home.

And what a final couple of days it was.

Friday night, we decided to walk the beach after dark to see the magnificent stars. And what we saw in addition to the stars was straight out of a special effects shoot--the waves that were crashing up onto the shore were actually glowing.

In my 40 years of living, I never knew such a thing occurred. For those of you as dumb as I am, it’s called bioluminescence (the production of light by living organisms).

Now, I knew certain living creatures had glowing capabilities. I’ve squished many fireflies in my day. But I never knew that entire ocean waves could glow.

Apparently, the sea life contained within the waves illuminates when it’s moved. Thus, we witnessed something similar to the above picture. Breathtaking, really. We were all astounded.

Then Gus shone his flashlight onto the sand and we realized we were being mobbed by ghost crabs. When I stopped freaking out -- and when I talked Mary Claire off the ledge -- we were pretty impressed with their presence, too. They were, quite literally, everywhere.

One of the most magical nights we’ve ever experienced.

The next day, we packed up our belongings and headed to meet Captain Terry for our 4-hour cruise... our 4-hour cruise. (Did you sing along, ye children of the 70s?)

We caught trout after trout after trout in the bay. For 4 hours, we threw our lines in and pulled them back out with stinky, wiggly, slimy fish. And we kept enough to grill for dinner tonight. Chris just cleaned them. I can’t quite talk about it right now. The guts, the heads... ugh.

But the big news of the week?

I managed to gain 10 pounds.

In one week, my friends.

That’s true dedication.

When I think back to what I ingested on our vacation, I guess it’s no big surprise. The bread, the wine, the vodka beach drinks, the potatoes, the vodka beach drinks, the Fudge Stripes, the red wine, the donuts, the white wine, the creamy soups, the vodka beach drinks, the fried fish, the red wine, the ice cream, the wine.

I ingested enough of the White Devil to ensure my eternal passage to hell. (As if that wasn’t already guaranteed.) After 8 months of faithful and prudent South Beaching, I just ran that train right off the track and into the convenience store...

Where the Hostess treats of my childhood were waiting.

When I walked out to the Suburban for my 3:00 AM driving shift with coffee in one hand and a 2-pack of Ding Dongs in the other, Chris just shook his head sadly and proclaimed, “That’s not going to end well.”

And he was right.

The bingeing didn’t end well. It never does. I feel sick, bloated, disgusted, 10 nasty pounds heavier.

But the good news is that I’m completely re-committed to South Beaching it tomorrow. I’m going back to Phase One, baby, and the thought of carrots and filet and daily exercising sounds like manna from heaven.

But tonight, I’m going to finish off the gluttonous ride with a Reeses Peanut Butter Egg.

Or four.

Happy Easter, everyone!

3 comments:

Angie Solis said...

I have never seen anything like that in my life. How beautiful! And I'm fairly certain that Reese's eggs require being eaten in fours. I'll get back to you on that one.

What a fantastic photograph.

Katrina said...

Ang, I think it's MULTIPLES of four for the Reeses eggs. And although our shore looked much like the picture I included, I cannot lay claim to the actual photo. I didn't bring my camera and was too worried about the ghost crabs... and Jaws... to run back and get it.

angefreakaleek said...

This post made me think about some of the recent alterations I’ve made to my daily eating habits these past two weeks. For some reason, either because I have been too busy with school and work, or because I just really have not been paying attention, I have somehow ‘accidentally’(?) excluded processed or junk food from my meals. As a result, I have noticed a dramatic change in my mind, body, and spirit; I had no idea that one’s diet could so greatly impact a person’s lifestyle, because after I traded my processed foods for natural fruits and vegetables, I felt so much happier, my mind was clearer and sharper, and all of a sudden it was a piece of cake climbing those 6 flights of stairs in the parking garage at school. I would not say that this a diet, but more of a lifestyle modification, for the better. Now, I do not mean to criticize, you can live your life however you want, but I just want you to know my opinion on this matter; I think you would be better off just trading the processed foods in your house for fresh meats and greens from the Farmer’s market instead of continuing your dieting. Firstly, it has been reported by many physicians, including physician Dr. Fuhrman who has appeared on the Discovery Channel, CNN, Good Morning America, and many magazines that the South Beach diet is actually quite dangerous; as these types of high-protein diets gain popularity, in recent there has been a spike in the number of cardiovascular deaths in younger women. Secondly, if you changed your lifestyle instead of your diet, not only you, but everyone in your household would benefit from the change, and you would be building a healthy foundation of ‘food principles’, if you will, for your young children. Moreover, though I do believe that one should eat to live, and not live to eat, however, as an amateur foodie, I believe that food should always be thoroughly enjoyed, as much as possible, whenever possible, because food to me is an art, and I do not believe that you can fully enjoy and appreciate it if you only restrict yourself to certain kinds, and that is really one of the major reasons that I will never go on a diet, there are just too many exciting food masterpieces out there that would be a shame to miss out on. If you want to know what I am talking about, try watching a few episodes of ‘Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern’ or “The World’s Best Places to Pig Out” on the Travel Channel. I promise you, that after watching those, you will never look at food the same ever again.