Monday, March 22, 2010

Lordy, Lordy

Dear Friends,

My apologies for taking so long to write. But I have a great excuse.

I TURNED FORTY.

That’s right. The Big 4-0.

I’ve been alive nearly 14,600 days. 350,400 hours. Let’s not even get into the minutes and seconds.

But, damn! What a ride it’s been.

From the comfort and chaos of Weston Village Apartments and the iron clutch of Sister Veronica Ann’s freakishly strong hands, I now reside safely in the warmth of my loving soulmate’s embrace, surrounded by the most fabulous of friends, and blessed to be called “Mom” by four uniquely charming little individuals.

My birthday itself must be counted as one of the best days of my life. I was surprised by my dear, beautiful, forever friend, Stacy with a well-planned, secret, all-about-me day. With the generous help of some of my best girls, I was transported (blindfolded) for a manicure and pedicure, lunch at The Sanctuary, an hour and a half spa massage, party preparation at the Hotel Jeffers, hair and make-up with the uber-talented Angie, and pre-party cocktails with the girls who light up my life. Jody came from Chicago in her hot ass pants. Molly brought her beautiful family -- and her radiant spirit -- from Fort Wayne. Andi brought -- well, perhaps I shouldn’t mention EVERYTHING she brought online. But the flowers -- and her tried and true friendship -- were spectacular.

I’ve never felt so pampered. Or so loved.

And then.

My sweet, spicy husband threw the party of all parties -- complete with a red carpet arrival. His sisters and brothers and parents came to celebrate. Mine did, too. Friends and family from all corners of my life were there.

I was humbled. And a bit drunk.

Now, I embark on the next decade of my life’s adventures. By the time I’m trading the 40s in for the 50s, I will be a published author -- hopefully, a household name. But the things that will never change? My friends. My family. The core of my life.

Miss Mary Claire begged a shopping excursion from Stacy and bought me a beautiful new shirt and a fancy bracelet -- with her own money.

George gave me a duckling made out of melting beads. He made three, but misplaced two. He’s promised to send them my way when they show up.

We have adventures awaiting us. We have promises on our horizon. So, at 40, I will gather up these pieces of my heart and take them with me wherever I may go.

Chris, Sam, Gus, Mary Claire, and George will be with me in person.

Everyone else, I’ll carry within my soul.

As my lovely plaque from Molly reads,

“The whispers of our lives want us to take notice. They may be just whispers, small voices tucked deep inside the pockets of our hearts, but we must hold their possibilities close to our chests and allow them to step into the light.”

Thank you, thank you, thank you loved ones for making this such a memorable day.

Onward, 40. We have dreams to find.

1 comment:

Angie Solis said...

So much fun to read! Love love love you.