Friday, February 16, 2007

911...What's Your Emergency?

So, I have to admit that I've never actually called 911. That doesn't mean, however, that I haven't made my fair share of speed-limit-exceeding driving trips to the ER. With 4 kids, I think I've actually achieved "frequent flyer" status and hope to someday have a wing (or at least a waiting room chair) named after me. Last night, we made the journey once again.

Sam's been running a fever for the past three days, but we've been able to control it with Motrin and Tylenol. (For those of you counting, YES, we let him go sledding. We definitely do not get the Parents of the Year nomination for that particular decision.) Anyway, I was putting away clothes in Mary Claire's room yesterday afternoon when he came staggering up the stairs declaring that he wasn't feeling very well, that he had a horrible headache, and that he was going to lie down in his bed. I hung up a couple more pairs of pants and went to check his temperature. It was 106 degrees. For those of you that know me well, you might guess what I immediately assumed. Yes, meningitis. In a somewhat controlled state of panic, I called Chris and told him to get home ASAP, and I loaded Sam up into the car.

When we got to the ER, we had to wait behind a teenager who had apparently choked on a piece of turkey three hours earlier. I thought a 106 degree fever trumped the three-hour-old choking incident, but no one asked my opinion. When the nurse took Sam back, she took his temperature and it was 101 degrees. This is the moment that presents a great conundrum for a mother. You certainly don't want your child to be sick, but you also don't want to look like a complete and total ass for bringing him into the ER with a 101 degree fever. (Damned inaccurate ear thermometers!) So, Sam was loaded up with some Motrin and Tylenol and had his throat swabbed, his urine checked, and his chest X-rayed. He ended up having strep throat and left with an antibiotic prescription, so it wasn't an entirely pointless visit.

The good news is that he's feeling a bit better today. The bad news is that he can't play in his basketball game tomorrow. His team is 0-7, and he's one of the better players. It's going to be a tough morning on the court. Did I mention that I'm his coach?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What kind of mother are you anyway?
No where did you mention that you called your best friend, who tried to talk you off the cliff.
No MOY award for you this time.